FTTdp G.fast, Scaleway, Cwtch, ed25519, Websocketd, 2PC, DNSSEC
- Fiber To The distribution point (FTTdp) G.fast connections. Avoiding costly installation of single mode fiber in old building.
- RFC 6214 updates RFC 1149 IP datagrams on avian carriers with IPv6 support. This is really handy in case Electronic Warfare situation halts traditional Internet traffic.
- What Constant Surveillance Does to Your Brain. Great article. It's just easiest to consider everything being public to begin with. Keeping things truly private requires arrangements which aren't trivial enough for light matters. “The fear and uncertainty generated by surveillance inhibit activity more than any action by the police.” by triggering chilling effects.
- Scaleway sent me bogus invoice data, asking for 707€ for 684 gigabyte hours of cloud storage. That price is bit off, especially when object storage should be still in free beta tier. I truly went like WTF.
- WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook Messager are to be merged? Interesting, I've been looking for a reason to ditch WhatsApp for a long time, if this goes forward then I've found a valid reason. As well as instructing all of my peers to ditch it too. I wonder if they're able to totally screw this up like Microsoft with Skype, Skype for Business and Teams. It seems that I'm not only one having these thoughts. There are always options like Telegram (usability terms and UX & features), Signal (security, bad UX), Threema.ch, Riot.im, Matrix.org (platform) and the list goes on.
- Cwtch - Lightly studied project Cwtch - This is the kind of messenger platform I would like to see and use in the future. Decentralized, Privacy Preserving, Metadata Resistant, Asynchronous & Multi Party. Document lists many of the standard scenarios and problems to be solved. Nothing new there
- Binary Transparency & Reproducible Builds
- Revoked my old DSA1024 OpenPGP identity key and inserted the ed25519 identity and brainpoolP512r1 encryption 512 bit ECC key to sks keyservers. My OpenPGP keys.
- 5G networking slicing, "virtual networks for mobile networks", which is closely related to Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Fucntions Virtualization (NFV). Of course 5G is providing lower latencies (ultra low latency) and higher bandwidth (ultra high bandwidth) than 4G, that's not a surprise. eSIM (eUICC) and LPWAN-IoT, SD-WAN, VoLTE, of course including older NB-IoT and LTE-M. 3GPP Release 16.
- Websocketd - Hmm, CGI websockets. Ok, not best solution performance wise probably. But I'm sure it's good enough for just so many purposes. Not all services require extreme performance or parallelism. I've used message asynchronous processing with Python on WebSocket server side. But for most of solutions I've provided, this would do the work just fine.
- It's Time to Move on from Two Phase Commit (2PC) - As far as I know the “cloggage problem” has been widely described, especially on large scale networks, where latencies between different nodes and replication clusters can be high. So it's not unknown problem at all. Hmm, in the examples the transaction scope and transaction content is really limited. Sure, many optimizations are possible if the scope is limited to specific circumstances. As far as I've been reading, and doing stuff, there wasn't anything new in this article. As example, I don't bother using two phase commit in situations, where re-running the task(s) will lead to the same outcome anyway. It's just pointless to use two phase commit. When designing systems, this is of course preferable, if possible. Especially avoiding complex transactionality and state is a nice thing, when it can be easily done. 2PC is just one part of the finite-state machine controlling transactionality and parallelism.
- Use urlscan.io to check if your site is 100% IPv6 and 100% HTTPS (TLS) site.
- Use Verisign LABS DNSSEC analyzer or to validate your DNSSEC configuration or DNSViz DNS visualizer (and validate) it as well.