posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:20 AM by Sami Lehtinen
updated Mar 2, 2015, 6:41 AM
Summer vacation fun:
- Checked out plans for Baltic Sea Backbone Telecommunications Cable (BSBTC) (PDF) . It would improve communications between Finland and Europe. If it would also allow direct connection from Finland to ROTACS it would be great.
- Reminded my self about cache coherence and related algorithms, intrusion detection system evasion techniques (IDSET) & Advanced Evasion Techniques (AET), NILFS2.
- Checked out Java 8 new features. Stamped Locks, Concurrent Adders, Parallel Sorting, Exact Numeric Operations and Secure Random Generation. AFAIK nothing new in technical terms. Of course those haven't been available in standard Java library earlier, but all mentioned methods are something that have been used for ages already.
- PostgreSQL as shemaless database.
- Finished reading a few The Economists. I can't stop loving these excellent mags with great in depth articles. Most of Finnish publications are simply incredible junk compared to properly produces mags.
- Refreshed my memory about Amazon DynamoDB FAQ.
- While creating unique random identifiers for users, reminded my self about Birthday Paradox Problem, so I can be sure that the space where I'm allocating random user IDs is large enough.
- Checked out Google App Engine Sockets API. No it's not websockets, it's traditional TCP / UDP sockets.
- Ubuntu Developer Summit 2014. Something nice to watch during summer vacation.
- OVH DDoS Mitigation. It's a good read, I thoroughly studied it. Reminds me from many classes of resource starvation attacks.
Blog backlog is still just growing. I'll try to extract it some rainy day, when having a right feeling to do it. It now contains 612 entries, aww.