LclBd.com shutdown announcement
Post date: Apr 18, 2016 4:11:35 PM
LclBd aka Local Board has been shut down. Yet it was a great experiment from technological & software development point. Learned many things while playing with it.
Yet many parts of the code of this project will be migrated into other projects, so it's not wasted effort or experiment.
Actually, it'll be running for one year more. Why? When I posted shutdown notice, a friend of mine offered me a free server to run it on. So it'll be running for 11 more months.
Archived Local Board Guide for history:
Local Board Guide
What is it all about?
This forum is all about your local discussions. Technically this is global Local Board, That's where the name LclBd comes from. Users location data is used to show local messages to the user. Messages you see are highly weighted on posting location and time.
Local & Board - Your personalized local view into messages / Or fresh posts if not logged in
Menu - User preferences & settings / Or this info page if not logged in)
Fresh - new posts
Hot - Trending posts
Tags - Browse tagged posts
Local - Local posts
Users - Browser users with public posts
Forward - See more messages
Backward - See previous messages
Inbox - Your private messages
Info - Access to this page
Mark read - Mark visible messages read
Map Marker - Distance to message posting place - Only available when logged in
Time - How long it has passed since message was posted
Star - How many stars the message has received, if negative message has been trashed more than starred
Comment - How many comments message got
Star - Star messages which you like - You'll get more similar messages
Trash - Trash messages which you dislike - You won't see similar messages in future
Comment - Post new comment
Private message - Send new private message to message author
Report - Report message to administrator for inspection and possible deletion
Share - Share this discussion using social media
Post - Post new public message
Save - Save settings (user_settings / menu)
Asterisk - Something worth of noticing like new private messages
Fail - Something failed, hopefully you'll get reason too
Reverse - It's possible to go back and fix something
Certificate - Administrator authority badge
Warning - Something is probably going wrong
- This board tracks messages which you have starred or trashed, as well as many other things you'll do.
- Using machine learning models, we'll provide you more the fresh, interesting and local content. So yes, we'll profile you as anonymous user.
- What you have seen is automatically hidden, our goal is to minimize information overload.
- Here's no rule book, use your common sense or permanent bans will follow.
- This board is SFW so don't post NSFW content.
- Go straight to the point. There's no separate subject field but if you start with what you're going to say, it's all there in the beginning of the message.
- Use tags correctly. Use tags which clearly indicate primary points and matters of your post.
- If tags aren't used correctly posts will be deleted.
- If you think some posts aren't suitable for this site, just flag the posts. Moderators will review these posts and delete these if it seems to appropriate action.
- All languages and nationalities are more than welcome.
Login / Logout
You can login using multiple devices on the same account by using the login code, which is individual random code like: m1qNMyuXof6edESe. No you can't set your login code or you can't change it. There's a link in the menu, which you can send to your email or favorite private storage. You can use that link to login to your account in case when the cookie isn't available. This approach should be way superior to any user specified password. As we ass it's hazzle free, if the cookie is lost, you'll click your login link and that's all what's required. If you try to login while logged in, you'll get menu. And when you logout, you'll get login form. So you don't see login form, if you're already logged in. Anyway, seeing menu / local_board page, requires user account in the first place.
Simply: If you don't save the user key or link, you'll lose access to your account when cookies are deleted.
Trademarks & copyright
- All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
- Posts (private & public) & comments are owned by the poster.
- Public messages and comments are of course public.
- When private messages are deleted, it's deleted from database and will be eventually overwritten. Private messages which are older than 90 days or public messages which have expired, are purged from database daily.
- Expired public messages and comments aren't visible in listings anymore, even if those are technically still in database. Until deleted by the daily purne task.
- All data is kept private and won't be shared with any third parties.
- Logging: Poster IP and location, etc other related data is kept as long as message is visible, when message expires, the related data also expires.
- This is not anonymous service, even if login isn't required. If there is a legal investigation by authorities, we will co-operate. In other cases, foreign authorities will need to co-operate with locals to issue a legal official request.
- Server is located in European Union area and CloudFlare is used for caching CDN.
- No information what so ever, is shared with third parties from the server.
- Cookies expire in 90 days, that's the same time as user account expire in this service. If you don't visit this site every 90 days, your user account and related private messages will be permanently and irreversibly purged from database. Accounts or information can't be restored after that.
- Maximum 8k message body in private and public messages
- Maximum of 50 private messages, it's recommended to delete messages when you're done with those.
- Maximum of 3 private messages to a recipient, which the recipient hasn't read.
- Maximum age of private messages 30 days, doesn't matter if it's read or not.
- By email the only way to contact the admin currently is by email tirehtööri (meow) lclbd.com. Just replace 'ö' with 'o' when emailing and (meow) with @.
- Or send private message to Tirehtööri using boards private messaging feature.
- In case of outages or any news there will be Twitter announcement posts @LclBd.
- Browsing messages at your location without creating user account is coming.
Special thanks go to. Because I just couldn't produce required data sets, even if I would try to.
Other mentions: HTML5, jQuery Mobile, Elusive Icons, CloudFlare, Nginx, Uwsgi, Bottle, Peewee, Brython, Python 3, Redis, PostgreSQL, Imagemagic, Linux / Ubuntu Internally formats like XML and JSON are being used as well as ORM. I also considered using MongoDB but decided to use PostgreSQL for this project. I've been using Google App Engines HR Datastore and played with MongoDB earlier.
Hacker News, Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Pintrest, Reddit, 4chan, 8ch, Ello, GNU Social, Diaspora, Jottit, Pen.io, Pastebin, Imgur, Taobao, T-Mall, Ebay, Suomi24, Jumia.
You can crawl this global list of Hot or Fresh messages, Tags and list of Users.
Localizations were made for all major arears:
Locations / Cities
My current location (Using GeoLocation / GeoIP)
Content by City:
- Buenos Aires
- Los Angeles
- Mexico City
- New York City
- Rio de Janeiro
- Sao Paulo
These location pages use short cuts for speed. For fully localized and personalized experience you need a user account.
It's also a good idea to keep this page open for several seconds so your phoens location API can get a good fix.
Currently just mega cities are listed. Suggest a new location? Post using tag lclbd and I'll review your suggestion.
And a screenshot to show what kind of Unicode icons were used: